Friday, April 8, 2011

I've been bad!!!

ACK!! Two days with no post?!?! Sorry :( I have been INSANELY busy... I knew that posts would slow down, which is okay.  Wednesday was a hellishly long day (per usual) and I really didn't have the energy to post after 9 hours at school, a 45 minute run and then 2 more hours of cooking and typing up recipes for Nutrition class.  I consumed 1675 calories on Wednesday and *wait for it*... roughly 2700 calories yesterday.  I was over my allotment, but I am not stressed out about it because I allow myself to have a "cheat" meal once a week.  I definitely "cheated" last night with Kel  (BY THE WAY READ HER BLOG...it's way more interesting than mine--  shameless plug: http://stayhealthyonthefly.blogspot.com/ ).  I decided to imbibe in some Menage a Trois red wine (one of my favorites) and Kel brought over some SKINNY GIRL Margaritas... ohhhh my goodness they are delicious and guilt free, and I have officially found my beverage of choice for the summer.  It is about the same calorie wise as a bottle of wine.  Not too shabby, eh?

Now, I know I sound like a hypocrite because I said that I was going to abstain from alcohol while training.  I made the executive decision that abstaining completely was just bat shit crazy.  Yes, I said it: bat shit crazy.  I should be able to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner if I'd like to once in a while, or an ice cold beer after a long run.  That being said, I am going to make EXTREMELY cautious decisions to not drink 20348 double vodka sodas at the bar.  Also, I am going to make sure that if I DO drink that I will drink on a Thursday night so it does not affect my training the following day since Friday's are my off days and will continue to be my off days through July.

Also, I said that I'd include some recipes to make this puppy a little more interesting.  We had some delicious lettuce cups in Nutrition yesterday and I thought that I'd share the recipe because I REALLY liked it and plan on making this myself.

Chicken Lettuce Wraps
5 chicken breasts w/o skin, thinly sliced
1 package Montreal grill seasoning by McCormick
2 tbsp fresh ginger root, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
3/4 cup shredded cabbage
1/4 cup shredded carrots
3 pieces scallions, chopped at an angle
1/2 cup plum sauce
2 cups basil leaves, loosely packed
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, cut into half again
1/2 cucumber slices


Thinly slice the chicken into strips and sprinkle with grill seasoning


Heat a large skillet until it is very hot, add olive oil, then the chicken. Cook for 2 minutes


Add the ginger, garlic, peppers, cabbage, carrots and scallions and stir for about 2 minutes.


Add plum and fish sauce to glaze the mixture, toss 1 minute.  Add basil and lettuce to the pan to wilt the leaves.


Transfer cooked chicken and veggies to a bowl


Place spoonfuls of the chicken and veggies into a piece of lettuce with cucumber and eat like a taco. 


SOOOOOO good.  Also, checked out a store that is new to Sacramento.  It's called Sprouts Farmers Market. The produce is cheap and it is like Trader Joe's.  I am very excited because not only do I have a Trader Joe's across the street from me, a Sprouts is opening less than a mile away at Greenback and Sunrise.
HOORAY!!

Now it's time to go brew some tangerine beer... hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment